A new generation of intelligent technologies is shaking up the business world. Among them the Internet of Things – a network of sensors located on business assets which collect data and bring it back home, helping us to realise the dream of intelligent business.
There are thought to be between 26 to 50 billion IoT (Internet of Things) collection points out there already, gathering data about temperature, humidity and pressure, to name just a few. Now it is time to reap the benefits.
ERP still matters
Sensors output valuable information but it is only when they are connected to a network that the magic happens, sharing the data with other connected devices and management systems.
An ERP system is still the backbone that enables your business – but now it is so much more – now it’s a digital hub. As Chris Gabriel head of IT at Sapphire tells us, “your ERP system is no longer a system of record, it is a system of change.”
Assets to Action
When assets are connected they can be monitored remotely across many different locations. When something starts to fail, it triggers an alert and the response is then set in motion, for example by alerting customer services and sending out a response team.
When IoT data is centralised, your ERP can access a myriad of information about asset health and utilization in real time. The holy grail is then to use that information to predict maintenance needs before they happen. Parts can be replaced and machinery maintained proactively which saves a lot of money in unnecessary routine checks. Optimum use – minimum down time – it’s a win all round.
4 Benefits of Boosting ERP with IoT
- IoT sensors track and monitor high-value assets offering real time info on breakdowns and repairs.
- When sensors are embedded in your assets; re-ordering and stocking can be automated, missed deliveries tracked down and information updated centrally in your ERP system.
- Foreceast demand when you capture real time data from consumers – like increased demand for seasonal foods or weather-related spikes.
- When the IoT brings you the data you need to start fuelling advanced analytics, you can begin your journey to automation.
Manufacturing – ERP and IoT integration benefits
Manufacturers are going to be huge beneficiaries of the integration between ERP and IoT. When factory data is synced with an ERP system you can create better financial forecasts, reduce manual data input and improve service times.
- Give your finance team real-time data on product repairs and replacements
- Give repair teams the ability to match IoT data to customer details
- Increase back-office efficiency and customer service
Towards a connected world
Boosting ERP with the Internet of Things is the vital next step in creating a fully connected digital organisation – whether you are a manufacturer or a service provider.
But this is only the start. Digital transformation is turning traditional systems of record into systems of action which are both flexible and resilient – hugely important qualities in a post pandemic world.
Real time data opens the door to deeper insights and smarter decision making. Robotics automate away inefficiencies and the business becomes connected, resilient and intelligent.
As part of the Sapphire Systems group we hope to become part of a one-stop-shop for IoT and enterprise software integrations that fuels data into any type of ERP system. Starting with a robust ERP platform we are champions of SAP Business ByDesign which is an excellent platform for any growing business to begin their digital transformation journey.