SAP Business ByDesign vs SAP Business One – What is the difference?
Growing businesses looking to streamline their processes turn to SAP because it is a name they can trust. But with ever increasing choice in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) market, it can be confusing.
We are often asked, “What is the difference between SAP’s two mid-market offerings?” – in effect – SAP Business ByDesign vs SAP Business One.
In this article we review both choices, popular with businesses looking to upgrade for success.
SAP Business ByDesign Overview
Business ByDesign is a cloud first package – ERP software in a box designed for growing small and medium sized enterprises. The suite supports financials, human resources, sales, procurement, customer service, supply chain management, and more plus Microsoft Office Integration. You only pay for what you use. Really useful features include;
- Run subsidiaries and overseas branches via one system using one interface.
- Access data in the cloud, not on premise so it is always available in real time
- Scale up and add users as you grow
- Get real time business analytics via the powerful SAP HANA platform.
SAP Business ByDesign Typical Customers
Customers range from manufacturers creating products to professional services looking to automate their processes and save money by becoming more efficient.
User numbers: 5 to 500 users on average although many companies have scaled up to 9,000 users without issue.
SAP Business ByDesign Features
- Streamlines business operation from end to end g. transactions, ordering, logistics.
- Facilitates interactions between departments and company branches
- Access your databases from anywhere at any time – including mobile – via the cloud
- Customise your package to include the features that you need.
- Real time interactions means inventory can be checked and orders made as soon as you need them
- Swift implementation – only takes a few weeks to get up and running
SAP Business ByDesign Alternatives
Competitors include NetSuite and Sage 300 Online.
SAP Business One Overview
SAP Business One is a single integrated solution designed for smaller companies. It is basically an on-premise system although there is now a version offered in the cloud. As with Business ByDesign it incorporates Financials, Sales, Service, Inventory, Purchasing, CRM, Reporting and Microsoft Office Integration. The core system is designed to work with a number of third party Modules and Enhancements that offer additional functionality and sit within the core system. The system offers;
- A stable and affordable solution for businesses looking for entry level ERP Software.
- A step up from solutions like QuickBooks
- A solution which is on premise
- Like Business ByDesign, Business One benefits from real time business analytics delivered by SAP Hana.
Business One Typical Customers
SAP Business One suits companies in Distribution, Manufacturing, Basic Retail, eCommerce and Services.
User numbers 1-30
Case studies include CraigCor and Skechers
SAP Business One Features
- Streamlines business processes from end to end
- Deployed on-site and runs on Windows operating systems
- Allows you to add custom functionality.
SAP Business One alternatives
Sage, Epicor, Microsoft Dynamics (NAV. GP), NetSuite
SAP Business ByDesign vs SAP Business One – Further thoughts
Our expert advisors say;
On Premise vs Cloud – B1 is an on-premise application that is available in the cloud but not a true
SaaS application. Some features don’t work in B1 Cloud such as Microsoft Outlook Integration
Scalable Growth – B1 has a lower sweet spot for user numbers and tends to struggle more with high dependency user volume. Typically, ByD can scale further which suits the larger SMB’s and mid-market companies.
Integration – B1 has integration options (SDK, Middleware,) but you need expertise in these areas whereas Business ByDesign has 255+ out of the box web services.
Intercompany – B1 doesn’t have this as standard so an add-on is required (provided by SAP). ByD is built to accommodate intercompany trading and makes this process easy
Shared Services Organisations – in order to switch between entities on B1 you would need to log out or have multiple sessions. Any businesses with shared service departments may find this difficult. ByD is one system with an Organisation Structure to mirror the businesses.
Limited Business Processes – B1’s core is end to end which is good for those businesses with limited requirements however at least 1 or 2 add-ons are required to bolster the functionality. ByD have 36 separate business processes with deep functionality.
In Cloud Solutions is a Cloud First SAP supplier of business software and has many years of experience in software implementation. Our team of experienced consultants are here to advise you on how best to streamline your growing enterprise – please get in touch if you would like a chat about your options. [email protected]